Friday 31 October 2014

Vannessa - Shaped Shadow Box Tutorial with Trick or Treat

Good morning and Happy Hallowe'en! Hope you're all ready with your Jack O'Lanterns and candy for all the trick or treaters tonight! We have all our decorations ready to go up and our pumpkins carved. Just now need to wait for the doorbell to ring...

I thought today I would post a little tutorial for how I made one of my Hallowe'en decorations this year - a shadow box Hallowe'en scene with the gorgeous Trick or Treat from the Art by MiRan store. Perfect for tonight's festivities! This post is long and photo heavy so beware... and please excuse my messy crafting mat. It is heavily used!


1. Cut a base shape to the size you want using black card - mine is 7 inches wide. Cut the same size again for the top layer, but cut out the centre using a smaller size of the same shape. My smaller shape was 6.25 inches wide.



2. Cut a square of white card and ink it to make a dusky sunset. My square was 6.5 inches and I used 2 shades of orange and 3 shades of purple to create the night time sky background.


3. Glue your sky background to your base frame and trim off any excess in the corners. 

If you want to hang your frame you will need to add the holes/eyelets and ribbon at this stage. I opted for a standing frame so did not add these here.


4. Cut lots of pieces of foam tape and position them round the edge on the reverse side of your top frame. Depending on how high you want your frame or how thick your foam tape is, you will probably need more than one layer. I used 3 layers on mine to get the height I wanted.


5. Add your die cuts to make your silhouette scene and pop them up using foam pads/tape before adding the top frame. Trim off any excess from the edges of the frame.


6. Add your top frame over the top - I would recommend peeling the cover of your tape a side at a time, so you get the positioning correct. Decorate however you like. I added the Stickles dots at the end.

I glued the pumpkins over the top frame but added foam tape underneath where they hang over, so they remained upright. I only glued the banner where it touched the top frame to allow it to hang free.



7. Colour your Trick or Treat digi from Art by MiRan and attach to your frame. I printed her at 9cm high and used Copics in the following colours:

Skin - E000, E00, E21, E11, R20

Hair - V01, V04, V06, V09

Greens - YG61, YG63, YG67

Pumpkin - YR16, YR68, YR18, YR15

Broom - E31, E33, E35, E37

Stars - Golden Star Gelly Roll Pen

To make the frame stand up I used the centre piece cut out from the top frame, folded it in half and glued it to the back towards the bottom of the frame.


I hope you have enjoyed my little tutorial. This simple shadow box can be adapted for so many different occasions and I already have plans to make a Christmas themed one to add to my Christmas decorations! 

HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!

Hugs, Vannessa 

1 comment: